Monday, April 14, 2008

Fresh Pea Soup

I had no idea that some people just don't like peas. My partner Tina is one of them. When I ask people about pea's, I get some very strong, emotional reactions. One person actually said, "evil".  As for myself, I love peas and I look forward to the spring harvest of fresh peas I can shell myself.  For the moment I will settle for frozen peas to make this soup.  You can serve this warm, or chilled, garnished with gluten free croutons and fresh cut chives.
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (about 2 medium leeks)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
4 cups chicken stock (I used Kitchen Basics Vegetable broth)
5 cups freshly shelled peas, or 20 ounces frozen peas
2/3 cups fresh mint leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1/2 cup gluten free croutons
Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add leeks and onion and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until tender. Add broth/stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the peas, cook 3-5 minutes, until tender. Off the head, add mint, salt and pepper. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth and return to saucepan. Whisk in creme fraiche. For a truly velvet like texture force the soup through a tamis (drum sieve) or a chinos. I used a tamis and the result was remarkable. Serve hot or chilled with gluten free croutons and chives.

2 comments:

Sondra said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love finding new gluten free blogger friends. Your daisy cake is so cute. I also have egg issues and have not yet tried any egg substituting...not quite sure about it. I will be bookmarking your blog and will be back to look at more of your yummy recipies.

sweetpea said...

Sondra, Thank you too! I don't post very often but I am having a bit of fun here. Oh dear, I can't imagine adding one more food group into an alrealy complicated diet! Hope you feel better soon. I should mention that my physician told me it takes much longer for adult celiacs, than children, to recover and regain gastric health.