Monday, January 4, 2010

Favorite Kitchen Tool


My Tamis, a classic French drum sieve can create a soup that is smooth as velvet. I couldn't make certain soups or sauces without it. I have a chinois and I love it but sometimes using the tamis is easier, especially when I want to puree something to a very smooth even consistency. Today I made a curried butternut squash soup. First I processed the soup in my vitamix and then through the Tamis. The result was a lovely smooth soup. Yes, it was a great deal of work but worth it! You just can't get soup like this using a food processor or just a blender! It takes a Tamis! I sauteed four cups of diced onions in some olive oil and two tablespoons of sweet curry. Then I added about 6 pounds of peeled, diced butternut squash, five large peeled, cored and diced apples two cups of water and some salt and pepper. I simmered this for about an hour over low to medium low heat, until everything was tender. After processing the soup in my vitamix I passed the puree through the tamis and then added about 3 cups of apple cider. The soup was a bit too sweet for my liking so I added some vegetable broth to balance it with something savory. As the temperature plummets below zero for another night in Minnesota, I am looking forward to a bowl of hot soup!

No comments: