Monday, November 1, 2010

Homemade Oreo Cookies, OMG


If your gluten-free an you don't know Shauna and Danny Ahern, well your missing out big time. I have been a fan of their blog, Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef for as long as I have been gluten-free. If you appreciate good story telling, excellent writing and are living gluten-free you have too many reason to check it out at http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/.

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease I didn't even know what a blog was and quite frankly it took me awhile to actually understand how it a worked. Lucky me, I stumbled on Shauna's blog long before it became so hugely popular. I remember spending the better part of day going back and reading each and every post since the inception of her blog. I was riveted. I bought her first book as soon as it was published and I even flew to Chicago for a book signing. I felt a kindredness with Shauna, a connection through the gluten-free world that I guess we call the gluten-free community.

I am still enthralled with their new cookbook, Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef. I love the photographs, the tips, the approach to cooking and the recipes but honestly, I am die heart fan of the blog, mostly for the stories and every now and again for the recipes.

Recently Shauna and Danny posted about Oreo Cookies, including a recipe for making them gluten-free. Now I don't have a sweet tooth and would almost always prefer something savory but these cookies are incredible. I am already thinking of a million ways to actually use the chocolate cookies which are delicate and delicious. You can head over to their blog http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ and get the recipe yourself. The dough is little fussy in that it stuck to my hands and every third cookie or so I had to wash my hands. I also made mine too big, when they suggest just a little more than a teaspoon, they mean just a little more than a teaspoon. All my teaspoons were in the dishwasher so I was trying to eyeball the volume and went too big. I also found my cookies did spread a bit while baking so do place them at least an inch or more apart. My stuffing also seemed a bit stiff, not exactly sure what that was about but they were tasty none the less. More importantly, I am looking forward to using the chocolate cookies to make a cheesecake crust, pie crust and crushed over ice cream.

If nothing else it was shear fun making these Oreo's!

4 comments:

beegirl said...

These look amazing!!! I'm going to have to get that book.

kim said...

Yours look great! I tried adapting Smitten Kitchen's recipe (where this one came from) last year and the cookies really spread on me. I haven't tried again. You said yours spread some too. How much? where they unusable? Mine were a disaster...

sweetpea said...

Hi Kim! I can't say for sure how much they spread but I only spaced them about 1/2 inch and they were almost touching one another, next time I would stick with the directions which are to space two inches apart. I used the recipe exactly as Shauna had posted @ GF Gril, only I cut it in half. Why were yours a disaster and what were your adaptations? Try again, they were were very good!

Amy Leger said...

These look yummy! Thanks for commenting on my site today! Good to meet you! Are you on Twitter or Facebook?